Paper and board with excellent printability
Manufacturing paper and board with clean edges and surfaces is vital for proper press performance and faithful reproduction of the print design. Weducon edge and surface web cleaning for paper and board removes dust and contamination and helps you to maximize production, enhance quality and safety, without increasing operator demands.
Edge and surface debris causes build-up on the press blanket, and printing plates, which results in frequent press stops to clean plates and blankets to prevent poor printing results.
Not only does this cause lost time, but it also increases waste when the press is restarted and the color balance needs to be restored.
Edge and surface web cleaning essential for high-quality paper
In the paper and board manufacturing process, Weducon’s HE 90 web cleaning solution takes care of a clean, dust-free product through several production stages:
- in the paper machine
- in the winder and the sheeter
- after the slitters as web cleaner
- after the cross-cut section as sheet cleaner.
Depending on the need for either product quality or labor environment optimization, web cleaning can be employed in the early stages of production or at the end.
Effective web cleaning for paper and board
Weducon’s HE 90 web cleaner with 24 V DC ionizers (positioned optimally at the center of the cleaner) and electronically adjustable airflow, allows cleaning performance at the desired level.
The system enables an almost linear adjustment of airflow and a great cloud of ions blown directly on the surface of the web. As a result, the Weducon HE 90 is capable of efficient cleaning, regardless of web tension and other production-related parameters.
Specific measurements of the filter/fan system provide additional advantages. The optional continuous distraction of dust underneath the hopper offers a considerable advantage in a paper or board mill, as the heavier dust loads are discarded, either in a briquet press or directly back in the pulper, without manual labor.
At which paper production stages is Weducon’s web cleaning solution used?
Weducon web cleaning technology is applied in the following stages of production:
1. In the paper machine
Just before winding the tambour, web cleaning removes contamination from the finished paper product: for instance, coating particles and foreign objects from the production environment that cling to the moving web – rust, metal, insects, dust, etc. If they are not removed before winding, contamination will be stuck in the winded product, leaving permanent imprints even after removal during the unwind.
2. In the unwinder/rewinder
In the rewinder, the web cleaner prevents whirling of dust around the winder. Meanwhile, it improves the production environment by lowering emissions.
The web cleaner removes slitting dust behind the slitters. This prevents slitting dust from getting enclosed in the layers when the web is winded into smaller reels when converted. Weducon also designs and supplies knife dust extraction.
3. In the sheeter
Weducon edge and surface web cleaning for paper and board removes contamination between the slitters and the drive rollers in the sheeter since every particle or small part still present is pressed into the web by the drive roller. If they are not removed, they leave permanent imprints and dents on the finished product. Application of Weducon web cleaning in the sheeter section at Inpol-Papier, Poland.
4. At the cross-cut section
Slitters generate 65% of slitting dust in the sheeter. The remaining 35% is produced in the cross-cut section. To provide customers with optimum printable paperboard, the web cleaner removes contamination generated by the cross-cutters.
At this stage, the web is cut into sheets that need to be absolutely clean to prevent dust and contamination from being included in the paper stacks. Take a look at an example of this web cleaning application in new sheeter Papierfabrik Varel, Germany.
Benefits of web cleaning in your paper manufacturing process
Do you want to discuss your manufacturing process and cleaning demands? Weducon offers advice based on over 30 years of experience. Our references guarantee that Weducon’s HE 90 web cleaner will achieve the desired optimization of your paper and board manufacturing.
Let us calculate the yearly savings you can achieve for your particular process by using a Weducon web cleaning solution. We look forward to hearing from you. Get in touch to discuss your production.